The Holy Monastery of the Prophet Elias of Santorini was founded in 1711. It is located just below the highest peak on the island at 560 meters above sea level on the hill (or "mountain") of the Prophet Elias. The monastery was founded by two brothers, Gabriel and Joachim, monks and parish priests who established the monastery on their own family estate. There were already two country churches in the area. They were dedicated to the Prophet Elias and the Presentation of the Lord. The monastery (which women were forbidden to enter) played a very important role on the island for a century (from the mid 18th to the 19th century) after 20 monks arrived. One important accomplishment was the establishment of the Patriarchal and Stavropegic School of Martinous in the early 19th century, the ruins of which we see today by the church of the Holy Apostles at the beginning of the path from Pyrgos to the monastery of the Prophet Elias. Today there are 6 monks living at the monastery.
|Altitude (in meters)||:||560|
|Duration of Visit||:||40 minutes|