A little below, by the beautifully landscaped grounds of the newly built Pantheon Villas, it is worth taking a small detour from our path to follow the narrow trail on our right, with the whitewashed steps. It leads to the small church of Saint Anthony (Agios Antonios) of Atragoudistos, which was carved into the rock of the caldera. There are frescoes from 1750 on the volcanic walls of the church, while the church itself dates back to 1050. According to tradition, an icon of the saint was found at the current location of the church, and although the residents carried it to Saint Mark's church (a little higher, on the hill of the Prophet Elias), the next day the icon was again found back at the same point, where Saint Anthony’s church is now.
Religious Site // Church
Saint Anthony (Agios Antonios) of Atragoudistos
|Altitude (in meters)||:||225|
|Duration of Visit||:||20 minutes|