North Kynouria is one of the five municipalities in the regional unit of Arcadia; it is also the municipal unit of North Kynouria. It is located in the eastern part of Arcadia, bordering Argolida on the north, washed by the waters of the Argolic Gulf on the east, down to the Arkadiko Chorio, or Arcadian village. In the southwest, it meets Lakonia (along Parnonas); in the south it borders South Kynouria and the Palaiochora Plateau. To the west we find the Kastritochoria and the Arcadian municipal units of Korythio, Tegea, and Skiritida.
North Kynouria’s seat is the historic town of Astros, site of the 2nd National Assembly of the independent Greek state in April 1823. The Assembly convened in the buildings of the Karytsiotis school, which is now the city’s Archaeological museum. North and South Kynouria are the only coastal areas of Arcadia; they are splashed by the dark blue waters of the Argolic Gulf and the Myrtoan Sea.