The retreat of Saint George (Agios Georgios), who was also called Thalassitis, meaning Mariner, is located between Exomitis and Perivolos, near the long beach of Perissa. It was built on the site of an old basilica that dates back to 1537-1650. It was originally located in a small vineyard of the Prophet Elias (Profitis Ilias) Monastery, but then it expanded and became independent. In 1970 it was renovated, and its two transverse aisles were turned into chapels: the southern one the chapel of Saint (Agios) Eleftherios, and the northern one the chapel of the Evangelist Mark (Evangelistos Markos). Recently, with the help of the Prophet Elias Monastery, the church was preserved and renovated, cellars and auxiliary spaces were built, and since 2005 it has functioned as a women's retreat (convent) with two nuns.
Religious Site // Monastery
Saint George the Mariner
|Altitude (in meters)||:||7|
|Time Reference||:||16th Century AD|
|Duration of Visit||:||15 minutes|