How to Get There
There are two ways to reach Lakonian Mani by road (with your own car or by intercity bus, using KTEL Lakonia). The shortest route from Athens is the eastern road to Gythio: from Athens (Athina), start on the National Road (Ethniki Odos), heading from Athens to Tripoli, then continue through Sparta (Sparti) and on to Gythio. You will be on the national road through Sparta (213 kilometers), and then on provincial roads from there to Gythio (43 kilometers). The trip from Athens takes 3 to 3.5 hours by car and 4 to 4.5 hours by bus.
1. Athens - Gythio: 270 kilometers
2. Thessaloniki - Gythio: 773 kilometers
3. Patras - Gythio: 277 kilometers
4. Gythio - Mystras: 48 kilometers
5. Gythio - Monemvasia: 64 kilometers
6. Gythio - Areopoli: 28 kilometers
Alternatively, you can take the western road via Kalamata (240 kilometers from Athens) and Messinian Mani and head to Itylo (another 71 kilometers from Kalamata, about 1.5 hours) and then [Areopoli][TID:22015 ] (10 kilometers from Itylo). If you start in Athens, this road is longer both in kilometers and time (on the part from Kalamata to Itylo), and we do not recommend it. With your own car, it takes about 3.5 to 4 hours to get to Itylo. If you want to go by bus, use KTEL Messinia.
Fly to Kalamata International Airport, then take a car or bus to Itylo, which is 71 kilometers away.
In the summer, there are ferry routes running between Gythio and Kythira, Antikythira, and Kissamos (near Chania, Crete).
Find out more about itineraries and reservations at www.digitickets.gr.
Useful Telephone Numbers for the Gythio Area
- Gythio City Hall 27330 22210
- Health Center of Gythio 27330 22001 and 27330 22002
- Hospital of Sparta 27310 28671
- Police 27330 22100
- Police Department of Gythio 27330 22271
- Gythio Fire Department 27330 22199
- Port Authority of Gythio 27330 22262
- ELPA Road Assistance 10400
- Intercity Bus of Gythio 27330 22228
- Intercity Bus of Athens 210 5124910
- Local Taxi 27330 23400-22755-6945486848 . Daily Taxi to Athens 6932488067 . Diros Cave 27330 52222 . Mystras 27310 83377
Useful Telephone Numbers for Areopoli
- Areopoli City Hall 27330 51239, 27330 51150
- Police Department of Areopoli 27330 51209, 27330 51355
- Areopoli Fire Department 27330 52199
- [Health Center of] AreopoliHealth Center 27330 51242, 27330 51259
- Taxi 27330 51442
- The entire main road network of Lakonian Mani, which starts at Itylo and ends at Gythio, moving south and then north along the coastline, plus the roads crossing the peninsula between Areopoli and Gythio and between Areopoli and Kotronas, adds up to just 110 kilometers. Most of these roads are in very good condition for comfortable driving. Therefore, a basic road tour of the area can be done in less than three hours (not including stops).
- There are only four gas stations between Gythio and Pyrgos Dirou.