With its two magnificent bell towers, the Cathedral of Saint John the Theologian (Agios Ioannis Theologos) dominates the center of Chora in Lipsi. It was built using chiseled stone in 1931, with funding from the island’s expatriates (who contributed to various projects that have been carried out here). Notice its carved wood iconostasis, the altar made out of metal and decorated with depictions of Christ's life in the Russian style, and the icon of the Virgin Mary of Black (Panagia tis Mavris). It is worth visiting the archaeological collection of Lipsi in the ground floor hall. The miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary of Charos (Panagia tou Harou) is kept in this cathedral most of the year.
Religious Site // Church
Saint John the Theologian
|Altitude (in meters)||:||20|
|Duration of Visit||:||20 minutes|
Similar: Religious Sites