Numerous important historic houses and mansions decorate the city of Aegina, the first capital of the Greek state (until 1829) and the seat of Governor Ioannis Kapodistrias. The Karapanou mansion is located in the coastal area of the lighthouse. Previously, the sea reached the edge of the property, so it was called 'Skala Karapanou,' meaning Karapanou Stairway. Situated on a 20 acre estate, it was built in 1850 for Prime Minister Dimitrios Voulgaris, who bequeathed it to his son Lazaros, who later left it to his daughter Maria. Maria Voulgaris married the politician and diplomat Alexandros Karapanos, who gave the mansion its current name.
Construction // Mansion
|Altitude (in meters)||:||0|
|Duration of Visit||:||15 minutes|