During the 19th century, Messaria flourished and became the center of industrial development on the island thanks to factories such as the Markezinis Knitting Factory, whose derelict buildings still stand in the settlement. Antonios Markezinis brought the first two “sock machines” to Messaria in 1889, and in 1912 the factory became a supplier to the Greek army. The factory shut down after the war. The Markezinis family mansion is a short distance from the factory, but unfortunately today the mansion has been half demolished.
Cultural Attraction // Old Factory
Markezinis Knitting Factory
|Altitude (in meters)||:||147|
|Duration of Visit||:||20 minutes|