In 1928, this stately 19th century residence was donated to Michael Danezis, a renowned Santorini philanthropist. Here, in 1929, Danezis founded the first eye clinic on the island, which was known as the Danezeio Ophthalmiatrio (Danezis Eye Clinic). The clinic made a major contribution to the fight against trachoma, a disease that tormented a large percentage of the residents and led to blindness. The clinic was closed in 1954, when Danezis also founded the public anti-trachoma organization, and it remained a private residence until 2016, when it was converted into a tourist residence with two luxurious villas that can accommodate up to 14 people.
Cultural Attraction // Historical Site
Danezis Eye Clinic
|Altitude (in meters)||:||152|
|Duration of Visit||:||15 minutes|