At the little Church of Christ, which is located approximately 1,200 meters south of Agrilia on a passable dirt road, a passable path (or damaged dirt road) begins. After approximately 1,200 meters, it leads to the southwestern tip of the island, the Kimina area, and the quarries of S. Alafouzos. The 19th century pumice mining operation here brought to light traces of buildings of a Late Bronze Age settlement, among them a complete building which was originally excavated by Alafouzos and Nomikos in 1866 and subsequently by Ferdinand Fouqué (French petrologist and geologist) in 1867. The pumice extracted here was used in the construction of the Suez Canal.
Cultural Attraction // Old Factory
Quarries in Alafouzos
|Altitude (in meters)||:||54|
|Time Reference||:||19th Century AD|
|Chronological Period||:||Copper Age|
|Duration of Visit||:||1 hour|
Similar: Cultural Attractions