The island of Thirasia is located west of Santorini, about a mile from Oia. It belongs to the Municipality of Thira, and its capital is the settlement of Manolas. Thirasia has a few hundred residents. Along with Santorini and Aspronisi, it was part of the island of Strongyle, which separated after the Minoan volcanic eruption of 1600 BC. Thirasia now forms part of the perimeter of the large caldera that formed in the years following the eruption. Its geomorphology closely resembles that of Santorini, but in contrast to the better known island, touristic development here has mainly focused on visitors who come as part of the daily tours of boats that start from the harbor. In the shadow of Santorini (Thira), Thirasia can offer an alternative for those seeking authenticity, tranquility, and solitude.
|Altitude (in meters)||:||17|
|Type of Place||:||Secluded|