Tripotama - Natural Park of Erymanthos - Ancient Psofida
Tripotama took its name (which means “Three Rivers”) from its location at the meeting point of three rivers, the Erymanthos, the Aroanios, and the Seiraios, which join together to form the continuation of the Erymanthos River. Walking 200 meters south of the square in Tripotama, we can go down to the banks of the Aroanios River, and a few meters farther down we find the point of convergence with the Seiraios and Erymanthos Rivers.
Today, Tripotama has developed into a small commercial center for the region because of its location on the provincial road that runs from Tripoli to Patras (the famous D111) and also passes through Levidi.
At the site of today’s Tripotama on the border of Achaea and Ilia (or Elis), we will come across the few surviving remains of the ancient Pelasgian city of Psofida, which was founded by Erymanthos. These include sections of the ancient Pelasgian walls of its acropolis (citadel).
The acropolis of ancient Psofida was built around the hill that rises northwest of Tripotama. At the foot of the hill is the church of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary, a fortified monastic complex built in 1817. Relics from the ancient town are stored in the courtyard. Our ascent to the citadel begins immediately after the church.
A very lovely 1-kilometer walking path in Tripotama in the natural park of Erymanthos starts next to the arched Erymanthos bridge and continues along its banks, passing the Katriva recreation area and the Katriva spring and ending at the Vasiliki spring.
The low forested Hill of Barbanitsa is located east of the square of Tripotama, after the bridges. Next to the Aroanios riverbed at the foot of the hill, we can see the Argyri Vrysi or Silver Fountain in a lush natural environment.