Located near the island’s port, Agios Nikolaos, Chora (also called Hora, Anafi, and Chora Anafis) is the only settlement on the island. It is a traditional village. In the 15thC, Guglielmo II Crispo built a Venetian castle around the village, right up to the hilltop. Today the church of Saint George stands on the site of the castle. The castle was built during the Venetian occupation, which lasted about 300 years (from 1204-1522, except for a short Byzantine interval from 1262-1307). Narrow alleys, whitewashed houses, a wonderful view of the Aegean Sea, and a lot of wind are the main features of the settlement today. Chora also houses all the island’s basic services: the offices of the municipality, the Citizens’ Service Center, its schools, the health center, and the police station. During the summer, several restaurants, bars, cafés, and shops with gifts and traditional products are open. In Chora you will also find car and motorbike rental agencies, a taxi stand, and a bus.
City/Village // Village
|Altitude (in meters)||:||211|
|Type of Place||:||Scenic|
|Administrative Center of||:||Municipality|