How to Get There
The ships of the main ferry line of the Dodecanese connect the major port of Piraeus with Lipsi, but there is not a daily connection, even in summer. However, there is a daily connection to Patmos, via the seaworthy local ferry Nisos Kalymnos, run by the Kalymnos Nautical Company Limited (ANEK Kalymnos), which connects the islands of Kalymnos, Leros, Lipsi, Agathonisi, Arki, and Samos. Between these two lines, there is an almost daily connection with Lipsi in the summertime.
Patmos is 163 nautical miles from Piraeus; the trip usually takes 9 hours. Lipsi is only a short distance from Patmos (12 nautical miles); the crossing takes 20 to 50 minutes, depending on the ferry. The Dodekanisos Seaways speedboats (which do not transport cars) also connect Lipsi with Patmos daily during the summer.
In addition to the ferry boats, tourist boats take visitors on day trips from Lipsi to Patmos and Leros. Small boats also take tourists on all-day cruises to swim and eat on five neighboring islets (Makronisi, Aspronisi, Marathi, Tiganakia, and Arki).
For more information about routes, schedules, and reservations, visit www.digitickets.gr and Lipsi Travel.
NOTE: The ferry routes for each season are usually finalized shortly before Easter or in May.
1. The island has been well developed over the last 20 years, so it has plenty of accommodation units and several restaurants. However, it is a good idea to reserve early, especially for a visit in July or August.
2. The work that the Municipality of Lipsi has done on the island in recent years, which is reflected in almost every island activity (especially waste management), is truly impressive; it should serve as a model for many of the municipalities in Greece.
3. The island has a good 20 kilometer road network that connects most areas. It also has a municipal bus. During the summer, the bus also runs to and from the main beaches on the island (Hohlakoura, Katsadia, and Platis Gialos). The bus route and schedule can be found by following the link to the relevant page on the Municipality of Lipsi site.
4. The taxi station is located at the port of Lipsi. You can telephone for a taxi (+30 6942 409 679 or +30 6972 428 223).
5. The island's only gas station (ARGO Gas) is open limited hours each day: Monday through Saturday from 9:30 in the morning to 1:30 in the afternoon and 5:30 to 7:30 in the evening, and Sunday only at midday, 11:00 to 1:00.
6. There are no marked paths for hikers. However, because the vegetation is low and sparse, and the wild goats have created many paths, we can proceed carefully without any particular problems.
7. Lipsi does not share the country's problem with a low birth rate. Of the 784 inhabitants of the island, 200 are children. This is very encouraging, but it also creates obligations for the state to support the island's infrastructure with elementary and high school teachers. Both the elementary school and junior and senior high school of Lipsi are housed in beautiful facilities with open spaces and sports fields surrounded by the magnificent Aegean landscape.
Useful Phone Numbers
Police Department +30 22470 41222
Port Authority +30 22470 41133
Health Center +30 22470 41204
Pharmacy +30 22470 28981
Town Hall +30 22470 41333
Citizens’ Service Center (KEP) +30 22470 28970
Lipsi Travel +30 22470 41290
ELTA Post Officfe +30 22470 41249