The magnificent church of Saint Nicholas (Agios Nikolaos), patron saint of sailors, towers above the western end of the settlement of Psara, on a small hill. Its construction began in 1785 and was completed in 1793, with substantial help from many Psarians who had begun to earn considerable income thanks to the development of a local shipping industry. Marble from various islands and parts of Greece was used for its construction. The church is 28 meters long, 14 meters wide, and up to 24 meters high. Its many windows and doors (fifty-one and seven, respectively) are noteworthy. The temple was decorated with special gifts and sacred vessels of great value. This was all destroyed and plundered by the Ottomans in June 1824, during the complete destruction of the island. The church was restored several years later, in 1863.
Religious Site // Church
|Altitude (in meters)||:||32|
|Duration of Visit||:||40 minutes|
Similar: Religious Sites