The Historical and Folklore Museum is housed in a neoclassical building at 16 Spyrou Rodi Street. Dating back to 1828, the house was bequeathed to the Municipality of Aegina by Polymnia Irioti Thomakou, daughter of Panagis Iriotis, who held a Ph.D. in philology and was also an archaeologist, folklorist, and director of the junior high school (Scholarcheio) of Aegina. The unforgettable Dr. Gogo Koulikourdis, a historian and friend of Polymnia Irioti, fought for the foundation of the museum.
The building was damaged during the earthquake of 1981. Its repairs were eventually completed thanks to donations, bazaars, exhibitions, and cultural events organized by the Association of Friends of the Folklore Museum of Aegina. The Association continuously enriches the museum's collections with donations from residents and friends of Aegina.
On the upper story we find an Aeginian town house, with the library, heirlooms from the Iriotis family, the correspondence and records of Panagis Iriotis, as well as old furniture, engravings, paintings, traditional and urban costumes, Aeginian lace, whitewashing, and various decorative items.
On the ground floor, we can visit a country house with everyday items, weaving materials, and agricultural tools, as well as a fisherman's house with fishing equipment, sponges, and miniature boat models.