Town of Kalavryta - Place of Sacrifice
Kalavryta, the historic town of Achaea, built on the slopes of Chelmos on the site of ancient Cynaetha, is also the seat of the Municipality of Kalavryta. It is the location of the ultimate martyrs' sacrifice of Greeks during the German occupation. Today, it has enjoyed considerable touristic development centered around the ski resort of Chelmos.
Here on Kapi ridge, on the 13th of December 1943, the German occupation forces executed the entire male population of Kalavryta of 14 years old and over. A huge cross on the upper part of the hill spiritually embraces the souls lost on account of the barbarity of the Nazis.
Intense emotion is aroused and indelible historical memories are brought to mind during our visit to the Municipal Museum of the Kalavryta Holocaust. Housed in the building of the former elementary school, the museum was designated a work of art and listed as a historic monument in 1986.
We will encounter similar historical memories in many of the villages around Kalavryta, such as the Monument to Commemorate History at the Park of Saint Anna in Skepasto, the Memorial of Execution in Rogoi, the War Memorial of Kerpini, the War Memorial with the Bomb in Lapata and Trechlo, and the Memorial to the Executed next to the railway station in Stasi Kerpinis, to name some of them.