Southwest of today's monastery of Saint Laura (Agia Lavra), at the site of the old monastery (paliomonastiro), the first church of the monastery was built in the mouth of a cave in 961 AD. Two sets of frescoes have survived on its exterior walls. We can reach it by following a short footpath for 5 minutes (see the map).
Religious Site // Monastery
Old Monastery of Saint Laura
|Altitude (in meters)||:||1046|
|Chronological Period||:||Byzantine Period|
|Duration of Visit||:||30 minutes|